Hashtags have become a huge part of Internet slang and the users stream content from other sources such as Instagram and status updates from Twitter. Hashtags are already all over Facebook, so the launch of clickable hashtags on Facebook makes perfect sense for every user.
Facebook users can now search for a specific hashtag from the search bar and compile posts directly from the hashtag feed. If a user only uses hashtags once in a blue moon, the hashtags used will also help Facebook learn a little bit more about that user's likes and dislikes, which allows for a greater depth of targeting.
Advertising Age speculates that “hashtags might also ultimately bolster Facebook's Graph Search since hashtag mentions provide a clearer expression of a user’s interest vs. Likes: ‘Likes are flawed signals, since users sometimes click on them arbitrarily or to satisfy a social obligation. But posting with a hashtag could be seen as a more tangible expression of affinity and could thus help to make graph search into a useful product.’”
Tips on Using Facebook Hashtags:
- Use FB hashtags like you do on Twitter. This will be exceptionally helpful when it comes to breaking stories, weather, and sports.
- Research hashtags to find out what people are saying about specific topics, find out what is trending with that topic, and learn more about user’s insights on that topic.
- Don’t overuse hashtags in postings, as it makes the content hard to read. Pick the main keywords/topics and highlight those as hashtags.
- Teach your fans how to use them in case they aren’t familiar with seeing hashtags on Facebook.
- Streamline your postings by setting up the post with hashtags for the sites like Twitter, and minimize scheduling time by keeping the same format, hashtags included, for facebook as well.
- Encourage creative engagement around a hashtag, and be sure to instruct your fans to make their posts public when using the hashtag so you and your fans can see the conversation.
- The change for Facebook to allow clickable hashtags will inevitably help Facebook become a more useful tool for real-time content, breaking news, trending stories, and more targetable advertising content so embrace it and use it as best as you can!
Read More about Hashtags on Facebook: